16/01/2010

Sea Snakes - Clear as Day, the Darkest Tools (2004)



So, your hipster cred is down and you need an album to boost it back up. Well, I've got this album...let's get the checklist and see how it fares.

1. Must be by a non-british/non-american band. Check
2. Must be the only album by said band. Check
3. Must have less than 2,000 listeners on last.fm. Check
4. Album art must not have the name of the band or album on it. Check

Oh, well there you go. You'll have to check out this slice of indie pie.

Sea Snakes only put out one album (this one, hurr durr) before each member went off to do his own thing (maybe you heard of one or two of them). It's a darn shame as well, because this is one of the best albums that I've heard in a long time.

Not too dissimilar from A Weather I suppose, they have that same quiet/quiet dynamic and both bands kick out some beautiful songs, but Sea Snakes have a certain sound to them. They're quite wintery, I guess. They sound like they're playing in a shed in the middle of winter, that's what it is. And I suppose the lack of a female vocalist makes their songs less sweet and more emotional. Think A Weather and American Football mixed together with a pinch of I Am Robot And Proud and you might get an idea of what I'm talking about. Better yet, get the damn album.

Quiet, acoustic-ish, wintery, indie cred boosting indie pop. Get on it.

Give it a listen

I would spend money in order to boost my indie cred. COME ONNNNNNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment