21/10/2009

The Mostar Diving Club - Don Your Suit Of Lights (2009)



I always hate it when people ask me what kind of music I like. What do I answer back with? Do I go with the always classic "everything but rap and country"? Or maybe the amazingly pretentious "I listen to everything". Y'see, it's a hard question to answer. I couldn't possibly list off all the bands I like, or praise certain genres because that just isn't a very accurate depicition of the music I listen to.

But if you were to ask me what kind of music I LOVE then I think I know what my answer would be. I mean, it helps that I've been asked this once before, but whatever. Just roll with it okay?

I love singer/songwriters who make beautiful, magical records all by themselves. The idea of one guy spilling his heart out, doing his best, making a record as well as he can sends chills down my spine. I love the image of a guy waking up in a small cabin in the middle of nowhere, knowing that he's going to spend the rest of the day writing music, writing what he feels, thinking that maybe today he will finish this record - his masterpiece. He will start off writing and recording simple songs that anyone can appreciate but as time passes he will explore the medium that is song-writing, finding a sound that truly expresses how he feels. These experimental flourishes will be what sets his album aside from everything else.

THAT is the kind of music I love.

But, if anyone ever asks me that question ever again I'll probably just say "The Mostar Driving Club's 'Don Your Suit Of Lights' of course" because it's a lot quicker to say, and it's exactly the kind of record I'm talking about.

Check it out if you like beautiful melodies, touching lyrics and amazingly twee songs about honeybees.

Give it a listen

I can buy this on his myspace, right? (dunno)

2 comments:

  1. I do so agree with this, there are no words. It's the exact same thing I think, every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete