10/10/2010

Silkworm - Firewater



Drinking music. There's two distinct types of drinking music if you ask me, I mean there's the "fuck yeah, I'm drunk and I don't give a fuck so I'ma sing/shout some songs and not give a fuck" type (Catch 22, Queen, mclusky, Big Black, Oasi-I mean wonderwall etc.) and then there's the "I'm only drinking so that I can forget about my problems because I am so sad, so very very sad" sort of stuff (Matt Elliott, everything else is small time). Silkworm are a band that fit snugly in the middle. They're loud and shouty enough to provide that "fuck yeah" kick but they're gloomy and down enough for that "fuck no" attitude.

Needless to say, I love Silkworm for this very reason.

Firewater is probably my favorite albums of theirs because it's just the right mix between the fuck yeah and the fuck no. I mean, it starts off with the good ol' "GOD DAMN THE CIRCUMSTANCE THAT BROUGHT ME AND GOD DAMN YOU, MY FRIEND" shouty number "Nerves". But straight after you've got "Drunk" which is a pretty gloomy number about, well, drinking. The rest of the album follows suite with only one track sticking out like a sore thumb.

That track is called "Miracle Mile". It's a little acoustic number which lacks the fuzz and agression of the rest of the album but makes up for it in pure sincerity.

Oh.

And that kickass, fuzzy as fuck, louder than you can handle guitar solo that kicks in near the end. FUCK YEAH SILKWORM YOU ARE THE BEST BAND EVER.

Dig the likes of Archers of Loaf, Sebadoh and Polvo? Then this should already be in your collection.

Give it a listen

I woke up this morning after a heavy night of drinking with no real memory of what I did last night. I sure hope I didn't buy any more of those 90s american alternative rock albums. Every fucking time.

1 comment:

  1. I just read through the entire archive. Post more you fucker.

    ReplyDelete