21/11/2009

I Hate Myself - Ten Songs (1997)



In November, 1997, a small band from Florida released what would be their only full length album. Titled "10 Songs" it was just that, a collection of 10 of their songs, recorded in the summer months by a group of guys who played some pretty cool music. Really it shouldn't be anything more than that. It should be as simple as it sounds. I shouldn't have to make this post about it, but here I am.

What we have here is one of the finest emo albums ever. I don't really want to go into the story of "emo" or "emocore" too much, because it's a story that is cloudy and mysterious even in the minds of the guys who were in the midst of it. But what I will say is that the genre exploded in the 90s, with fuckloads of bands going in different directions. I Hate Myself went in the "scream like an emotional white kid who doesn't give a fuck about anything whilst the band plays some fucking powerful yet melodic guitar lead music" direction. Oh, and what a wise decision that was.

So give this a listen and see what you make of it. I hope you like it, because the birthday of this album reminded me about how old emo is getting. Fuck, bro, Revolution Summer happened 24 years ago. As a result, I'm going to post some of my favorite post-hardcore, emotive hardcore and screamo releases this week. There'll be forgotten classics and brand new masterpieces. So let's all stick on our skinniest pair of jeans, stick on that dirty tshirt you wore yesterday and listen to some emotional bullshit!

Give it a listen

Y'know what else is pretty emo? Buying music...

No comments:

Post a Comment